Sunday, November 2, 2008

I Had A Wonderful Experience



On Saturday I got to experience something that was so amazing to me. I had the opportunity to help out with Prop. 8! It was one of the most touching things I've ever experienced in my life. I stood on the island holding up "YES on 8" signs along a very busy street in Upland(Euclid). I stood there with family, friends,fellow church members, and others who shared the same views on this Proposition. I feel so strongly about this topic and hope with all my heart that it passes! I thought that it was incredible that here, there were people not of our faith standing together for a common cause. It was very touching to see random people drive by honking their horns like crazy in support of our efforts and cause. I saw people who would drive by with their "Yes on 8" yard signs sticking out their sunroofs, people giving the thumbs up, and even a man in a truck that had this huge beam(about 10 feet tall) and a white sheet attached to it that said "Yes on 8" spray painted across it standing up in the back of his truck! I can't seem to put into words how it felt, but it is overwhelming. Normally religions stay to their own, and it seems that when they do come together it's a fight for whose religion is right, this was not the case on Saturday. With the good also comes the ugly though, I did experience some obscenities yelled at me, but you know what, the first thing that popped into my head was the Great and Spatious Building. Those people were full of anger and hate and were looking for a fight. It amazes me how worldly and accepting people are, and how quick they adjust to the tends of the world. My testimony of the gospel has grown due to what I've experienced. We need to unite together with others who share our same values and beliefs, we need to stand together and be a light unto this world, not only for ourselves but for the furture generations.....now is the time to not be afraid to stand up!!!

3 comments:

V.a.n.e.s.s.a said...

My sister wrote a really cool post about it. You should read it: http://valeriegathright.blogspot.com/2008/10/why-proposition-8-is-not-live-and-let.html

Amber said...

Amen. I'm glad you have been so actively involved in Prop 8 and that it has been a positive experience. I hope and pray it passes and those that are similar in AZ and FL.

The Ishiis said...

That is so awesome that you were able to help out with trying to get people to vote for prop 8. I think that the dividing the wheat and the tares is begining.